Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekend Impromptu Getaway Meal Ideas??


On November 1, 2010, I posted on thekindlife.com
My husband, Troy and I are going on a little impromptu weekend getaway vacation this weekend. Apparently, (I don't remember) we had put our names in for them to contact about deals,etc. They have a GREAT deal this weekend, so we're going. Anyhoo, I'm vegan, Troy's flirting. We're going to Elk Horn Resort in Manitoba (we're in Regina, Saskatchewan), and I'm not entirely sure what to take, I've Googled their menus, and there's not a lot of options. If it was one meal, I could make it work. If it was one day, I could make it work without too much planning, but three days?? I'm not sure, without some guidance. <smiles sheepishly>
Should I call the lady that booked us in about requiring anything special? I think we can make no fridge work, by taking a cooler, and using hotel ice. Should we take a toaster? For sandwiches, toast and such? I know I can easily take nuts and dried fruit. Should I make vegan waffles, freeze them and take them for breakfast? Toast them? Or do you think the restaurant would toast them for us?
See many questions. Maybe I should just call the resort. Thank you in advance!

 I did end up calling the resort to see if our room came with a fridge and such. No reply for a week, but I was able to figure it out, and I posted again once we got back.
For others looking for similar information, thought I put what I learned.
First, I planned our meals so I knew what to take. Luckily our room had a little fridge, and we brought our own toaster, for waffles. For breaky we had vegan waffles (recipe from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau'sThe Joy of Vegan Baking-delicious and easy). Made them the night before and froze them, took Earth Balance and maple syrup. Also took 4 bananas and a small thing of strawberries & chocolate soy milk. For lunch, we had sandwiches, with mutigrain bread, tofurkey, eggless mayo, mustard, tomato, pickles. Supper, we ate at the resort's restaurant. Really the only thing vegan was the salad Tangled Greens. Very much a rancher's steak house atmosphere. :( Not to worry, I had that and seasoned baked tortillas with white bean dip back in our room.  And I was pleasantly surprised at how accomadating the staff was. They made a special vegan burrito with sundried tomato hummus, in their lounge the next day. Delish! I also remembered that we would need cutlery and such, so I brought our awesome picnic basket, it even included a cutting board and cutting knife! It was pretty awesome.
Oh yes, for travel snacks, I made Walnut Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (also The Joy of Vegan Baking), I brought a nut and dried fruit mix, and pumpkin seeds and for dessert we had Chocolate Almond Brittle (The Joy of Vegan Baking...again).
Everything went well. I made sure we had our stuff together (I'm very much a list girl). Any questions, just ask, if anyone would like that white bean dip recipe-it's really good!-again ask. :)

The recipe post:
Alright, it's actually called White Bean Spread, now that I've got the recipe in hand. I got it from a cooking instructor, she always gets requests for the spread recipe when she takes it to functions.
1/3 cup olive oil, 2 large cloves of garlic-minced, 3/4 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/3tsp pepper, 1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed, 1/4 cup lemon juice (also good with lime juice), 1 tbsp Tahini (sesame paste), 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce, 3 tbsp frech coriander-important ingredient
Blend together olive oil, garlic, and ground coriander, salt, pepper, white kidney beans, and lemon juice, tahini, cumin and hot pepper sauce (I find the hand blender works best). Stir in fresh coriander. Can be made with different beans.
Let me know how it goes, once you get a chance to try it.  :)

So that was what I was doing as a brand-new vegan, at a month and a half.
Just took some thought and planning. Which I've found to be a valuable tool with my brain injury. Plan, plan, plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment