Thursday, December 22, 2011

Becoming Vegan

Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis, RD and Vesanto Melina, MS, RD. was delivered around the same time as The Vegan Scoop. According to Amazon.ca, they came in September 2010. Again, another great book with loads of information about vegan nutrition. Every vegan should have this book! Seriously.

I wasn't totally confident in my nutrition knowledge, so it was nice to have a reliable reference tool. I don't check that I'm 'doing it right' anymore. However, I did keep a scanned and printed copy of the nutrition guidelines, on my person, for 4 or 5 months. Just while I was brand new to this foreign lifestyle, and trying to introduce these new ideas(new to me) to my recovering brain.

I like to be an ambassador for veganism. Show people just how healthy and safe it can be. Granted, there is plenty of vegan junk food to be had. I had plenty, boy howdy!

Oreos are evil.

Okay, maybe not evil-evil, but it's definitely not ideal to eat half a bag of them! <embarrassed grin>
Certainly not healthy . . . other than no cholesterol . . . So yes, I didn't want to be a junk-food vegan, living on oreos and coke. In high school I was a junk-food vegetarian, living on Kraft Dinner. I have zero interest in going back to that life.

I also wanted to be able to answer people's vegan nutrition questions. No pressure! I remember being totally and completely stumped when my younger brother asked about complete protein. To be fair, this was asked when I had just begun to research veganism, and my severe brain injury was younger than a year. I know the answer now.
And here it is!
The Protein Myth and Vegetarianism  (audio podcast=8 minutes long) by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.

No comments:

Post a Comment